Friday, February 5, 2010

Movie Time


Are you a movie fan like me? Here's a list to consider...

“The Big Chill” (1983)
“Forrest Gump” (1994)
“Finding Nemo” (2003)
“Crash” (2004)
“Little Miss Sunshine” (2006)
“Juno” (2007)

Movie watching is the only thing I had as a real hobby for many, many years until this blog occurred to me and took off. I have seen a tremendous number of movies – foreign, indie, animated, you name it. The six movies grouped above rank between high and very high for me in terms of ones I have experienced as both enjoyable and meaningful. Some you may like, some you may not. I heartily recommend you see any on the list that you’ve missed.

I clearly like or love many more movies, so why have I gathered these particular ones here? It’s not something I can sum up in one word or one sentence, much as that would be a neat trick. They were all well received by the Academy. “Gump” and “Nemo” were hugely popular. “Little Miss Sunshine” and “Juno” were surprises which grew on people. However, it is neither that nor the high quality of casting in all of these which compels my writing this morning.

Collectively these movies feature characters which face handicaps and emergencies. There are ones who experience or witness unexpected births or deaths. They all fight with their situations and emotions. They stumble and fall. They hide one moment and come out seeking the next. They break through barriers, of both attitude (theirs and others) and circumstance.

Mainly, the key people or fish in these movies persevere. Some emerge happier, more confident, more alive to their feelings and to the world they inhabit. They all are wiser, and none the worse for this wisdom, however roughly it arrived. They change, they grow and in that process affect others close to them – sometimes a little, sometimes quite a bit. Remember Forrest Gump overcoming his physical handicap to eventually run across the United States, how his humble, earnest perspectives won hearts of others and changed some who needed hope…how Nemo transformed his circumstance of being lost and frightened into a coming-of-age adventure providing the opportunity for others to wake up and make choices of their own…how Olive’s determination to be a beauty contestant, her sometimes fragile/ mostly strong belief in herself, was the catalyst bringing her dysfunctional family together for a journey of spirit more than they possibly could have imagined. There is much more to those three movies than my snapshot lines can capture, and great gems from the three other films on the list.

It’s fair to say that “Life is life and movies are movies.” However, feelings of inspiration are to be treasured and fed. Whatever moves us in that direction is so nourishing for our spirits that it is well worth revisiting those experiences where we can. It’s best when we get these in our own lives, of course. Overcoming difficulties needn’t be our sole source of inspiration. Some people inspire us as they take natural gifts and fortunate circumstances, adding tremendous effort to do wondrous things. Helping or working with others, sometimes just being a good witness can be like bathing in an inspirational pool. Certain movies can remind us of those real life possibilities. I like the term "cinematherapy" to describe the broad capacity some movies have to heal and inspire.

I'm sure you have movies which you value for similar reasons. It would be great if you send comments with titles of those movies along with something which touched you from them.

13 comments:

  1. I was moved once when visiting the Museum of Fine Art how an artist described all art as being a lie...a deception. He was of course referring to paintings, but I have come to understand that it does apply to all art whether it is a painting or any imitation or portrayal of life including fiction and movies; social, religious and political propaganda being at the heart of these lies. As a lifelong movie fan I now resent this so much that I no longer enjoy any movie with its built-in sales pitch. The propaganda has even invaded fantasy, horror and comedy. It was always there of course, as it was generated by humans, who are totally driven by their nature to lie, to proselytize ..to politically influence, to deceive..not just the eye as in art, but the mind as well. I therefore despise all fiction as nothing but propaganda...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your strong thoughts

    While there are many cases in which I have felt agenda in movies, either explicitly or almost subliminally, in my opinion it is not as pervasive or insidious as you perceive it to be. I imagine part of your sense is that the masses are being numbed with "bread and circuses" while the coffers are being drained and our values mocked by those in power. There is of course some truth in this as well, although we must take responsibility for the extent to which this has that effect. I think it's possible to separate the wheat from the chaff in finding enjoyable things about many movies without feeling as if you are being hypnotized. But that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I find it amazing that a simple quote can contribute to such a tremendous reaction. Do you really no longer enjoy art in any of it forms? I’m an artist my self - a sculptor - and my purpose has never been to manipulate or cheat people, nor to support any political or religious group. I do it because I love to express my self, to create and amaze. It’s true that art has the power to manipulate and seduce, but you can not compare Ronald McDonald or Joseph Goebbels (Reichsminister of Propaganda) with Edgar Degas or Henry Moore. You might search for your artist's quote. I think it likely you recall it out of context. French composer/pianist Claude Debussy said, “Art is the most beautiful of all lies.” All-around artist Max Jacob said, “The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you're an artist.” They weren't making negative statements about the influence of their profession, quite the opposite! Remember artists are usually playful and often weird. So don’t take it so seriously and give yourself another chance to appreciate art. Be selective not resentful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for an artist's perspective here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comments are not so lofty. Movies have been my passion for many years and they act as memories, insights, reference points, or just laughter and escapism. We humans need all these emotions to survive the real world. Film does not supercede other forms of art, it compliments them. Because I may choose to watch "The Big Chill" for its pathos and humor and memories does not mean that I have any less appreciation for great works of art. It only means that at that particular moment I need what "The Big Chill" offeres rather than Monet. The next moment I may need to hear Mozart or visit a museum.

    I agree with Wil about "The Big Chill". I would add "Fargo" to the list but I am a fan of black comedy. It moves with humor, albeit dark. For that I would also include "The Last Supper" - one of my all time favorites.

    Humor can be the most moving of emotions and the most nourishing to our spirits. "The Man Who Came to Dinner" or "Modern Times" are two brilliant old comedies but they feed our intellects as well as our funny bones.

    For brilliant writing and suspense, one of my top five movies of all time is Kenneth Branaugh's "Dead Again". Every time I see it the plot gets tighter.

    For sheer artistic beauty and depth, Kurisawa's "Rashamon" is unsurpassed. I find it hard to believe that "Rashamon" is any less a piece of true art than a painting by Renoir or a concerto by Beethoven. And surely it is equally as moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments. Nice to hear of other suggestions.

    Movies certainly provide a range of experiences and affect each of us at least a little bit differently, particularly those with depth.

    Anyone have thoughts on movies they found especially inspirational, and why?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good friend said he felt "Titanic"(1997)and "Pursuit of Happyness" ((2006) would fit well on the list. I heartily agree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen several movies lately which I consider inspirational: Gifted hands, American Violet, The Pursuit of Happyness, Blind Side and Precious . Why? These movies are all based on true stories, except Precious I believe. The main characters were brought up in an environment of poverty, broken families and harsh reality. Even if they received some helping hand through their path, they made a choice to manage, change and create a better life for themselves and their children. The tragic environment which Precious faces involves physical, emotional and sexual abuse. To escape her reality she turns to dreams and she becomes a special person. The only thing which kept her going was “Every day I tell myself I’m gonna break through." And she makes small steps to change her life. I know that even if this movie is not based on a true story, there are many precious women there which are faced with similar trauma to overcome, with difficult decisions to make.


    To the first Anonymous, I love art and music in any shape and form . For me art which I see is good when it produces feelings. They are not always good emotions; they could be painful. I might feel sometimes that humans are deceiving, but it is not because of the art I saw - it is related to what I am going through in my personal life. People could find more creative energy in their lives by just really looking through their own eyes. They could take pictures of something they enjoy, make a collage of mixed media or simply write about how they feel. I know that experiencing creative energy makes me happy and gives me more appreciation for the art of other people, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great hearing from another artistic person!

    Nice list of current movies. Things get to Costa Rica a bit slowly. A few of the movies you mention I have yet to see. "Gifted Hands" is quite inspiring, I agree. I've heard good things about the others as well.

    I've been thinking about what a couple of you have said. I think concern for being manipulated is best offset by the general benefits of staying vulnerable to what so much art can offer, while staying just conscious enough to catch yourself buying into agendas which aren't in your interests.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great additions, Katia.

    I would like to add three more movies to this running list: The Great Debaters, Remember the Titans, and Coach Carter.

    The reason why I want to add these to the list is because it's a group of individuals helping each other as they try to overcome what ever problems they are facing.

    I would like to think that if I had the chips stacked up against me like these teenagers did, I would find the heart to help others while combating my own problems.

    It's very refreshing to see people out there who at times put others in front of themselves even during really hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for describing how some movies are important for you, the particular way in which they inspire you.

    I like how this thread is going. I'm sure some others have recalled movies reaching further back in time than the ones mentioned so far? Jump right in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading these comments on movies. I suspect that movie enjoyment is like humor and other wants; degustibus non disputandum est. (One can't dispute taste.) I suspect that movies serve vicarious needs of sorts from time to time, allowing us to project ourselves into various scenarios. Anyway, two movies into which I was really able to project myself were: Meatballs with Bill Murray (I always wanted to be a camp counselor and stage pranks on the other campers etc.), and especially where he gives his raving pep talk that "It just doesn't matter;" and Dead Poets Society with Robin Williams. I don't exactly know why because I am a teacher, but there is just something about that movie with the carpe diem (seize the day) theme and all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great reminder of one of my favorites, too - Dead Poets Society (1989) ... for those fans of the show "House," of which my wife and I are big ones, Dr. James Wilson is played by Robert Sean Leonard - who portrayed the young and tragic star of that movie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!