Saturday, March 13, 2010

So Far and What’s Coming

Like chapters in a book, blog topics can be as song tracks on a cd; some grab us, some don’t. Five topics have appeared on this blog so far: “Procrastination,” “Resolutions,” “Forgiveness,” “Preparing for Change,” and “Who Really Knows Us?” (If you just came around and haven’t read some of those yet, pick a couple whose titles catch your interest.) I’m sure some of these resonated for you more than others. Maybe just one stood out. You might print the ones which worked for you – to revisit, to understand beyond what I wrote, why those issues are important for you right now. (Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but I find printing things out to read away from the computer creates a different focus and, of course, I like that I can access those pages wherever I am.) A significant part of the journey toward change is fueled by our emotions. So if something calls out from your gut, not simply your mind, take your initiative or leap there.

I call the blog “Openings” to represent the opportunities we all have to reveal, shift, move toward and through. We sometimes need reminding, perhaps new clues. A few of you have described these considerations as “very deep,” or words along those lines. Compared to tv or casual conversations, no doubt that’s true. But if you want to own more of your life, I think it’s time to turn valuable attention toward certain things, care deeply long enough to create some fresh awareness, energy and strategies.

The next topic will be “How Are You Using Your Time?”

Topics which I will be exploring over the next 12 months or so include:

Why Change?
Obstacles to Change
What Is Guiding You?
Managing Our Emotions
Taking Action
Handling Outcomes
Relationships (communicating, etc.)
Parenting
Health
Addictions
Money/Business
Aging
Responding to Change
Dealing with What We Can’t Change


Many subjects or parts of them I will approach in broad strokes. It’s my intent to convey what I believe I understand or at least my developed perspective, rather than overreach and have something to say on everything. I encourage thoughts from all of you in the anticipation of these subjects. Please mention any topic you feel may be overlooked which is one you would like addressed. Also, if any of you have a pet or specialty topic and wish to contribute jointly or create a separate piece under your name, I can easily imagine that working here, so contact me.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the most fun I have writing my blog ( The Web Town Observer ) is coming up with headlines for my posts. When I was an advertising agency copywriter/creative director I was paid well to come up with snappy lines that drew the attention of readers exposed to hundreds of ads every day.

    I just finished a book I'd been working on for years. About the time I spent working on a locked psychiatric unit in Massachusetts. I was in a rut until I came up with a title I thought really worked:

    You Had To Be There

    Headlines and titles are like the opening lines we use with strangers on the train, in a bar. Ice breakers. What we say can start a conversation. Or end it right then and there.

    Good stuff, Wil. Much food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response, Wil saidMarch 13, 2010 at 2:27 PM

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    I'll work on jazzing up the headers, just short of "Shock and Awe!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!