Monday, January 4, 2010

Resolutions

(This will be Part One of “Initiating Changes”)


Happy New Year! I had another topic in mind, until my wife sensibly suggested I stay in keeping with the time of the year and discuss resolutions – the New Year’s variety or otherwise.

I’m not sure I’ve ever specifically made a New Year’s resolution, but I have made plenty of changes; some gradually, some through dramatic, of-the-moment determination. Like anyone, I have resolved and slid back often enough, either feeling guilty or weak afterwards, or sort of ignoring what didn’t transpire. At the top of the heap of resolutions still not well met by me? -becoming fluent in Spanish. I’m not proud of this, given that my wife and kids are all from Costa Rica and that I’ve studied the language quite a bit at different times. I certainly can get there and I feel I owe it to my family, whose English is excellent.

Resolutions can range from ones for small changes to significant ones; from committing to taking the dog on longer walks to ending a substance abuse addiction. They nearly all focus on breaking or braking a habit, pattern or relationship which we recognize is not serving us or those we care about.

There is some success fueled by resolutions, particularly when they are soberly formed and witnessed (the more witnesses, the better). You’ll have some idea whether your momentum is sustainable if you are at least six weeks along your fresh path. This is important to keep in mind from the outset, like identifying a first marker.

Surely, it’s not empty symbolism to join a gym or attend your first AA meeting, but it is a far cry from “half the battle.” In fact, that package of recognition of a need to change plus the first step…it might add up to 20% of the battle. It’s an essential beginning, but we tend to over-credit ourselves for it.

Gym-joining is probably the classic resolution-buster. It’s estimated that half of those who get a membership the first week of January are no-shows by mid-February! This is a poor investment even if Joe Stud from the fitness center got you a 13th month for free. In the workout quest, I strongly recommend having a “spotter” or “sponsor” who goes with you most of the time and has similar goals. If you don’t have such a person, maybe you can find one at the gym or with staff’s help. For myself, what works well is someone determined yet short of a lunatic or hyped salesman in their enthusiasm.

Issues regarding weight fill a topic by themselves. To the extent that one has control not handicapped by a medical condition, I’ll say just a couple of things here. Most of change is about shifting or freeing energy. You’ll find that I feel word choice can be quite important in both our external and internal dialogue. We have a standard of speaking in terms of “losing weight”. Consider this: the word “losing” in this context undermines the goal from the outset. We don’t like to lose. We also are used to finding or recovering that which we lose. So let’s leave the “losing” out of the plan! Think in terms of “changing shape and increasing energy” or an expression which says what you intend in a positive way.

If you are serious about change, be a good coach to yourself. Good coaches are often said to “put their players in position to succeed.” Know your strengths and weaknesses. Think through your typical days. What obstacles, real or manufactured (excuses), tend to keep you from your goals? What emotions, times of the day or other habits have you linked with a habit you are ready to let go of? Will written reminders in key places help you? Do you require others to assist you, and if so have you considered what style of such interaction works best for you?

The bottom line is usually clear. Either you are serious about change or you aren’t (yet). Talking about change without follow-through gets zero points and tires your friends if not your pets – take care of your cheering section! Making a change may be a challenge and a long process, but the benefits are real and typically extend well beyond the change made. So often I have been pleasantly surprised at bonus effects on myself or my relationships after just one change. Some of this results from simply yet powerfully activating “change muscles.” The more we change, the more easily we can make other changes or adapt to shifting circumstances.

Perhaps you feel unlikely to be true to your resolutions for long. Maybe historically this has been your tendency. One explanation could be that you are such a creature of habit that even small changes must be imposed on you. If this describes you, I have a bridge of behaviors which might increase your odds of success.

As I wake up, but before leaving bed, I focus on my breath: nothing of great length, just 3 deep in-and-out breaths, reminding myself of this central and apparently continuing marvel of my existence. Then I take nine focused breaths, divided into three parts; opening/deepening my breath itself, opening my heart and opening my mind’s eye or intuition (in the center of my forehead). Through this, I create a grounded base of trust and expansiveness. You may feel gratitude, you may feel prayerful.

I also do three exercises. I bounce on my toes and lightly flop around for a couple of minutes, giving me a feeling of buoyancy and flexibility. Then I alternate standing on one foot for a minute, swinging the other foot in a variety of directions. This gives me a sense of balance. Finally, I grab a couple of free weights and push my endurance with a few minutes of simple exercises. Naturally, I am experiencing strength as a result. You might repeat a couple of these or something similar of your own design throughout your day. (In an office setting, bathroom stalls might have a new function.) Here I am addressing a baseline of attention and intention. Additionally, it’s of great benefit if you can walk twenty or more minutes each day, at the best speed you can maintain. This combines the stimulation of blood/oxygen flow and the energizing psychology of motion.

While each of us is geared differently, I feel a routine of this basic nature will slowly release stuck aspects of how you have been and allow you to be more easily seduced by possibilities of how you can become. You may come to feel you deserve certain changes, more than just thinking so. You are likely to have more embodied faith that you can move in these directions.

Change substantially involves the shifting, freeing or expansion of energy. One way is reducing weight through healthier food choices and increased exercise. Another is through subtracting a non-food addiction from your life. Yet another is letting go of a toxic relationship. Along with other changes not mentioned, these are all important and challenging commitments in different ways and for different people.

I have found one process which is immensely valuable by itself and towards liberating energy for making changes – forgiveness. From Oprah to “A Course in Miracles,” forgiveness is mentioned frequently these days. All major religions and spiritual traditions speak strongly of the value and power of forgiveness. I’ll return to this topic later in the year. For now, may I suggest you try this? With or without resolutions, forgive one person (this can be yourself) or one situation. Take enough time to think and feel through the essence of events. It is worth stressing that forgiveness of a person does not require acceptance of a behavior. In forgiving others, admit how you too have weak moments or general shortcomings, however different these may be from theirs. In forgiving yourself, you needn’t abdicate responsibility while working in the present to make better choices.

Genuine forgiveness is one of the most powerfully liberating and connecting forces we have. In thought and feeling it is strong. In word and then action it gains even more force.

Remember that true forgiveness asks nothing, expects nothing in return. It is a gift by itself. What follows is largely unexpected in both form and timing. You may catch yourself "requiring" a reward. This probably indicates it's time to explore the quality of your forgiveness.

If you feel just a little lighter, more open, more balanced and whole from this single forgiveness, you have started down an irresistible path.

9 comments:

  1. WoW Will this is very well written. Had to get the dictionary a few times to look up some words:). I really enjoy your piece about new years resolutions. Its really hard to get motivated into changing your bad habits but you gave some really good advice on how to get motivated into loose weight.

    I used to hate the gym more than anything. Loved to play sports and run outside but just hate going to the gym. Finding a friend who goes to the gym with you helps immensely, even if you have different goals, just someone to chat with between excersises.

    The biggest advice I can give on the matter is this. Stick with it. Since June I lost about 20kg and the one thing that kept me going was seing the results. The reason why people quit the gym by february is mainly because they dont give it time to see results. Once you start seing how better you feel, how much stronger you are, and how better you look most human beings will be additcs.

    Looking foward for another good read

    Ant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice read, Will.

    Along the way I started realizing that at the core of resolutions lies the fact they pretty much always involve doing things you don't like.

    I also realized I haven't made a new years resolution in over a decade.
    In my case that is because I am an organized type that sets routines and enforces them with things like pop-up reminders on my pc.

    It seems to me that because resolutions generally mean you have to change your routine for the worse, they are bound to fizzle if you need them to be attached to the new year.

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the impulse to perceive “that at the core of resolutions lies the fact they pretty much always involve doing things you don’t like.” The argument goes that most of our behaviors imply preferences and if we had wanted to behave a certain way, we would already have been doing it.

    All the same, you might consider this possibility: behaviors which we have any serious inclination to change are ones which are not serving us well or well enough, despite being “comfortable and familiar.” We may like what we are now prepared to give up, but like it less than its alternative. Or, that which we are resolved to change has become a compulsion rather than a “like” or true need…and once seen in that light, we may be inspired to move consciously toward change.

    It seems unlikely one would literally choose to change their routine for the worse, unless under pressure by a person or circumstance. Granted, there can be a range of discomfort in changing; from altering a previous schedule, to making a greater effort at something, to the rigors of detoxing and staying clean.

    One of the keys to sustaining change is to keep focused on the value of the goal while maintaining an intelligent faith that the road will nearly always get easier. You will create a new standard for “comfortable and familiar,” at least in one part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wil,

    I am not the only one who noticed that you have a talent for writing.

    It helps me when I make meaningful resolutions. I look at a goal for the New Year which is realistic and I desire to achieve. I do not focus on the scale and how many pounds I need to lose. My resolution is to keep my health and my body in shape by combining choice of exercises which I enjoy, balanced nutritional food and positive thinking. If the exercises at the gym become too boring, I could add a spiritual dimension to my goal. Frequent walking in nature brings balance to my physical and spiritual sides. Another aspect of my goal is to plant a vegetable garden and be able to maintain it with love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was with you until you stressed forgiveness. I was told by an Orthodox rabbi that forgiveness is essential to self-contentment. I can't agree with that. There are those people who cannot be forgiven for the evils they have committed.

    Forgiving one's self, I agree is paramount. We all make mistakes or we would not be human or alive. To be without flaws is to be dead, as my father told me. But to forgive others - regardless of their actions - is not human. Yes, we can forgive normal human flaws. That will help our psyche. But it is weakness and foolishness to forgive without justification.

    I cannot forgive those who have committed such atrocities to me and have never shown remorse. I figure if there is a God, He would not forgive them so why should I, a mere mortal? I have a close family member who stole from me and has never - in over a year - apologized for it or even acknowledged my existence since. She will not be forgiven until that happens. I won't even attempt to forgive a man who stole my heart, my money, and my soul. He has never shown remorse, nor did he seek to change his evil ways.

    Forgiveness is not a moral imperative. It is merely a hopeful state of mind.

    As for New Year's resolutions, I wholeheartedly agree that they are useless. Each year I write in my journal and assess the past year and look toward the new one. Not specific resolutions but an overview of how I can make the new year better than the previous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is clear, that like most of us you have experienced hurt from others in your life, some of which you find unforgivable. Forgiving is a personal choice, not an obligation.

    What I suggested was that readers consider forgiving one person or one situation, while not requiring acceptance of a behavior. I am not advocating blanket forgiveness. I am proposing beginning slowly to forgive where it is at least a bit difficult…that this has healing and empowering effects which can only be known through experience. You may find that it is worth trading in some of the anger and sense of moral justification, for instance, for greater compassion and ease within yourself. It’s the old “Don’t let them beat you twice” axiom; for situations which are no longer active, why keep them alive by allowing them to fester in a pool of heavy emotions? If we let go of some or most of that over time, it is beneficial both for our basic state of mind and likely our physical health. So if you are seeking a justification for forgiveness, it is minimally in your self-interest, I would argue.

    I have more to say on the subject with my post entitled “Forgiveness” later today. I hope you will consider a process which has helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason I came across your site was in fact through one of my professors. This blog archive is actually quite intriguing. I read a few of them and I particularly liked the topic of resolutions but it really ties in with the idea of motivation and desire. Many people make new years resolutions but I feel as if there may be up to 75% of them never accomplished, or started but not finished. I feel that this revolves around change and change can only occur if there is either a desire to do so or you are motivated in one way or another. A lot of the times these resolutions become useless because that inner drive to achieve the "unachievable" is lacking existence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're joining this open "class." I agree with your observation that follow-through is a challenge for most of us. This is a big motivator for me in creating this blog; to expose the reasons for this along with suggesting new ways of unleashing greater freedom and energy to create and respond to change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!